The aim of this qualification is to provide learners with the knowledge and understanding of babies and young children from birth to7 years of age with applied knowledge in the early years, 0-5 years. The qualification content meets the Department for Education’s (DfE) Level 2 full and relevant criteria for a Level 2 Early Years Practitioner in the workforce. Learners could also progress on to the CACHE Level 3 Diploma in Early Years Education and Care or the CACHE Level 3 Diploma for the Early Years Workforce.
Course Content and Job Skills
- Roles and responsibilities of the Early Years Practitioner
- Health and safety of babies and young children in the early years
- Equality, diversity and inclusive practice in Early Years Settings
- Safeguarding, protection and welfare of babies and young children in Early Years Settings
- Understand how to support children’s development
- Support care routines for babies and young children
- Support the planning and delivery of activities, purposeful play opportunities and educational programmes
- Promote play in an Early Years Setting
- Support well-being of babies and young children for healthy lifestyles
- Support babies and young children to be physically active
- Support the needs of babies and young children with Special Educational Needs and Disability
- Promote positive behaviour in Early Years Settings
- Partnership working in the early years
- Support the needs of the child in preparing for school
Entry RequirementsThis qualification is suitable for a range of learners from the age of 16 onwards who have little or no experience in childcare. Learners should have at least a grade 3/D in GCSE English and Maths. 250 placement hours are recommended for this qualification.
A DBS disclosure is required for this course.
To enrol please bring the following documentation
- A valid Passport, Birth Certificate or Provisional Driving Licence (one of these)
- Your National Insurance Number
- Two letters to you as proof of your current address - for example: bank statement, benefit statement, utility bill, letter from Head Teacher at your previous school (two of these)
Please note if you have lived at your current address for less than five years, your previous addresses will be required and dates for the duration of your residence.
AssessmentsLearners must achieve a total of 37 credits from all 14 mandatory units.
All units will be internally assessed using a range of methods. This could include direct observation within the workplace, a portfolio of evidence, written assignments or a task set by CACHE.
Some learning outcomes within this qualification will require assessment in a real work environment.
Duration1 year, three days a week in college, two days in work placement
ProgressionThis qualification allows progression on to the CACHE Level 3 Early Years Educator qualifications and other Level 3 qualifications relating to childcare.
This qualification allows a learner to count towards the Level 2 ratio as a qualified Level 2 Early Years
Practitioner across the Early Years Workforce
Learners may work under supervision in a variety of roles such as:
- nursery practitioner
- classroom assistant
- pre-school practitioner
Spotlight on FdA in Early Childhood Education +
Amardeep Mohammadi is studying a Foundation Degree (FdA) in Early Childhood Education. “I chose to study at Carshalton College as it was accessible around my work and family commitments. Other degrees I looked at were either part time or long distance learning. I wanted to qualify within the 3… Read More