This Level 3 qualification covers the technical needs for today's motor vehicle repair industry including the diagnosis of complex system faults. It provides essential knowledge for service technicians working on light vehicles (cars and vans) in all types of garages, dealerships and maintenance depots. It is a learning programme which involves students studying both the theory and practical aspects of the following:
- Advanced Chassis Technology
- Advanced Engine Technology
- Advanced Transmission Technology
- Advanced Electrical and Electronic Technology
Students also gain a broad knowledge and understanding of health and safety in the workplace and other skills associated with working in a garage.
Enrichment Activities - The Motor Vehicle students have the opportunity to visit Santa Pod to watch drag racing and Brands Hatch for track days to experience the atmosphere during race events. The students will also have an opportunity to visit trade shows / exhibitions to liaise with employers and see the latest with employers and see the latest technology in the Motor Industry.
Course Content and Job Skills
- Motor Vehicle Practical
- Motor Vehicle Theory
- Functional Skills at Level 2
- Observation of practical work
- Written Assessments
- Oral Assessment
- On-line Computer Examinations
SuitabilityThis course is designed for students who have already completed a Level 2 motor vehicle qualification.
Entry RequirementsGCSE Grade D/3 in both Maths and English, or working at Level 2 in Literacy and Numeracy. You will have successfully completed a Level 2 Motor Vehicle qualification.
You will be asked to demonstrate your commitment and skills in an interview and short assessment. We also require:
- 85% Attendance
- Successful completion of current Motor Vehicle course
- A minimum of 3 Merit grades is required from the following online exams: Chassis, Engine, Electrical Transmission, Servicing and Vehicle Inspection.
- Good behaviour and punctuality is required and a reference will be sought from your current course tutor.
Duration1 year, Usually 15 hours over three days each week
ProgressionIMI Level 3 NVQ in Maintenance and Repair or an Advanced Apprenticeship programme.
Additional InformationStart date
For information about course costs, please see the Carshalton College fees policy
Open Event Thursday 21 June 11am to 2pm +
Join us for our last Open Event at Carshalton College for September 2018 entry. Thursday 21 June 11.00am - 2.00pm Click here to pre register. Find out about the courses on offer Meet our friendly and helpful tutors Take a tour of our excellent facilities Get Advice and Guidance… Read More